Preparing for your visit to India
•Travelers PASSPORT MUST be VALID for 6 months beyond your stay in India.
• Visit your travel clinic for vaccine and medication requirements and suggestions.
• Arrange your accommodations before the Visa application. Visa application requests this information.
• Apply for a Visa early enough to ensure approval before your trip.(Unfortunately I cut it little too close and was getting nervous ) . I used Travisa to make the process easier and faster.
• Purchase an airline ticket
• Make sure you have an adequate supply of prescription medications as well as over the counter medications. Pack them in your carry-on bag in case your luggage is lost.
What should I wear? I wanted my clothing to be respectful of the culture.
• Advice from my Indian friend, Neelam, along with posts I found online were most valuable in planning my wardrobe. Bloggers who gave me good advice for what to wear in India.
In Summary the best Clothing choices:
• No shorts, short dresses, and show no cleavage. Basically nothing revealing or sexy.
• I went with: Capri pants with long shirts. The traditional Indian Kurtis, borrowed from Neelam, with leggings or jeans. Kurtis are a long cotton shirt with side slits, very comfortable and pretty. I bought a couple more while in India. Most of the women I saw in Hyderabad wore Saris, even on motor bikes, or Kurtis. I was glad Neelam encouraged me to borrow a couple of hers, otherwise I would have felt out of place.
• Scarfs and shawls are very practical for covering up and adding color to your wardrobe.
• Comfortable shoes, sneakers and sandals are a must. I would not recommend high heels as the sidewalks are broken in many spots.
Getting to Hyderabad India from Boston requires a lot of fly time.
We flew tourist class on Qatar Airways.
The first flight from Boston to Doha was about 12 hours. The plane was very comfortable and equipped with a TV monitor for movies and games at every seat. Headphones, pillows and blankets were also provided at no extra cost. They served 3 meals along with drinks and snacks. No need for the snacks I had packed. The second flight from Doha to Hyderabad was 4 hours long in a smaller plane but still comfortable. The amenities were similar Great flying experience.
We arrived in Hyderabad at 2:30 AM. I’m glad we arranged for a car to take us to the hotel, Vivanta by Taj, https://vivanta.tajhotels.com/en-in/begumpet-hyderabad/ . Luckily we had arranged and paid for that day’s stay and did not have to wait for an afternoon check in. We immediately went to sleep.
A great hotel and services throughout our stay.